Today marks exactly one week since I have been here in Rocky Point with mom. Wow. It sure feels like more. I guess it’s a little less stressful now than the first few days simply because mom and Jana and Charlie and I have more or less settled into somewhat of a routine. Also I am probably a little better at anticipating the minefields and can avoid stepping into them unaware.
Dr. Kubac is using mom’s weight as a very simple but accurate way to determine the state of her hydration. (And her hydration is of course the precarious tightrope that she walks between kidney failure and heart failure.) It occurred to me that I can use mom’s mood as a similar mechanism to tell me how she is feeling physically. The worse her mood, the more exhaustion/fear/pain, etc.
When mom’s weight gets to 115, that triggers her to take the drugs to reduce the fluid. Maybe when her mood gets into the red zone, that should trigger ME to take an elephant tranquilizer!!! HAHA, little joke there.
Today mom and I went up to Rocky Point Lodge for brunch with 18 of mom’s closest friends! (Not exaggerating.) Mom really enjoyed herself and said that it was nice to get out for something OTHER than a doctor’s appointment.
Sunday, April 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment