Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Emergency button (Wed, 7 Jul 2010, 6am)

Mom got a Lifelink emergency button system. This one is a standalone unit, unlike the ones that have constant monitoring (and an ongoing $50 monthly fee forever, plus a big cancellation fee). I researched it pretty carefully, and it seems like a good solution. It has a water-resistant pendant that she is to wear at all times, even in the shower. The unit plugs into her land line, and you can program four phone numbers that it will call in sequence. Bill was visiting her yesterday for her birthday, and he set it up and we tested it.

When she pushes the button, an alarm that sounds like a European police car goes off in the house. The unit dials the first number. Here's what happens next:

1. When you answer, you first hear a few seconds of the European police car alarm, then you hear Bill's recording saying "Florence Nelson needs help. Push the zero button."
2. As soon as I hit Zero on my phone, I am connected to the unit in mom's house and I can hear what's going on. I could hear the TV, and I could hear mom and Bill talking. (I think the European police car alarm also stopped as soon as I pushed Zero.) I could listen as long as I wanted, but it's a one-way connection, so they can't hear me.
3. I hang up, and it takes around a minute (the paperwork says 75 seconds) for the phone line to clear. I then call mom's phone.
4. If everything is OK, mom will answer as usual and tell me it's a false alarm, but if there's no answer and her answering machine picks up, I just leave a message saying that I got the alarm and I am getting someone to come. Presumably if she is lying on the floor, she will hear that.
5. I then contact someone to come to her assistance.

In Step 1, if I don't answer, it leaves the recording on my voicemail and then dials the second number and the same thing happens. It dials each number until someone presses zero on their phone.

It is supposed to have a range of 100 feet from the unit (which is on the nightstand in mom's bedroom). Bill tried it from up at the mailbox but it didn't work clear up there, but it did work up at mom's parking area.

Mom is going into KF on Friday and she plans to pick up a surge protector for it, plus a spare battery to have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment