Monday, May 31, 2010
Firewood Philosophy (Mon, May 31, 12:30pm)
Yesterday morning before I left to head back to Seattle, I stacked firewood for three solid hours. Carl had delivered a huge pile, and I began working on getting it into a nice evenly stacked row and out of the weather. I built a row about 15 feet long and it slowly grew to knee-level, then waist-level, then shoulder-level. I had this nice orderly stack of firewood, but then I began noticing a strange phenomenon of firewood physics: even though the stacked row was growing higher, the big pile of wood wasn't getting any smaller! I could see the trampled path of grass over to the pile, and I was getting tired, so I was pretty sure that something was happening, but the pile of firewood sure didn't look any smaller. Then I realized that I'd better focus on the immediate task--stacking each chunk of wood in its place--rather than looking at the long-term goal of reducing that huge pile to ground level, or the task would overwhelm me and I would never finish. And amazingly enough, eventually all that wood ended up in a nice stack, and I once again saw the grass underneath where the pile used to be, and everything ended up just the way it was supposed to. Moral of the story: No matter how daunting the task, if you focus only on each piece as you come to it, eventually it all gets done even if you aren't exactly sure how.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment