Thursday, May 27, 2010

Syncope and the 85-Year-Old Dress

I have been doing some research on the internet, and I think I have found out what the spells are: syncope. It means sudden brief loss of consciousness, and it is distinguished from seizures by the fact that the person immediately regains consciousness and picks right up where they were before it happened. It is a VERY common symptom of advanced cardiac disease.

I mentioned this to mom a little while ago, and I told her that it's commonly caused by insufficient blood to the brain. She replied with the same thing that she had said yesterday in Dr. Kim's office, that as long as she knows the cause, she can accept it, and that it doesn't suprise her that her heart is wearing out. She seemed to just take it in stride. Then she said, "After all, if you wear the same dress for 85 years, you'd wear it out too."

1 comment: