Friday, May 21, 2010

Winter, and Fall (Fri, May 21, evening)

WINTER: It is snowing, blizzarding, in Rocky Point on May 21st!! It's actually sticking...there's about an inch out there right now!

FALL: Mom had another fall this afternoon. Fritz was asleep in his favorite place behind the couch, and mom was standing near him, also behind the couch, with her arms kind of braced against the back of the couch. She was talking when suddenly her face blanked out and she started wobbling, and then she fell sideways. I raced around the end of the couch and she was lying on her back, with Fritz under her knees, and he was struggling to get out from under her. She seemed surprised and she said, "I think he ran into me and knocked me down!" I helped her up to a sitting position, and she told me about a time when she tried to step over Jana, and Jana leaped up and knocked her over. I told her that wasn't what happened, and explained to her what I saw. She accepted what I said, but it seemed like she really didn't know what happened and was surprised to find herself on the ground. That is the second time she has fallen in 24 hours, plus two more very close calls when she almost fell.

Then about a half hour later, the phone rang. She answered it, then immediately handed it to me and said, "I'm going to vomit" and made for the bathroom. She threw up the tiny bit of lemonade that she had been sipping. Finally it was over and I got her over to her chair and gave her a glass of ice water and told her to sip it. I am nervous about this vomiting making her dehydrated, which I know can tip her kidneys over into failure. In fact, she told me earlier that Dr. Kubac's nurse had told her that her kidney values were getting elevated again and that she should try to increase her fluid intake, so she has been trying to drink a little water every time she thinks of it.

When dinner time rolled around she wasn't hungry, but then she decided to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I wasn't paying attention and somehow she managed to burn one side of it. When she flipped it, she commented that it wasn't burned. Then she sat down to eat and ate a couple bites and said that she had thought it sounded good but that she really wasn't hungry. She asked me to take it away, and she didn't even want her glass of wine. But she did ask me to bring her a little cup of applesauce, and she ate that. Then later in the evening she asked for some ice cream and ate a little bit.

I guess the bright spot is that she hasn't had any spells for about two hours, and I guess the other bright spot is that aside from the spells and the vomiting, she is her normal cheerful self. She did say that she was exhausted from yesterday. When I asked her what happened yesterday she realized that she was talking about the trip to town this morning and made a joke of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment