Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dueling Docs (Sat, 19 Mar, 2011)

...or...(alternate title): Wound vs. Kidneys
This morning I called Bill to see how things went with mom's appointment at the Cardiac Clinic yesterday. He said that Sharon the PA is not as informative as Dr. Kubac, however he did learn a few things. Sharon told mom to stop the high protein diet ordered by Dr. B at the Wound Clinic because it was probably a contributing factor to the decline in mom's kidney function. Bill asked Sharon if a high protein diet in general is harder on the kidneys and she said yes. Bill said that he brought up the subject of Dr. Kubac calling mom to change her meds right before he left on vacation, and Sharon kind of obliquely said that they keep close tabs on their patients who are walking a fine line. Not a surprise...we already know how precarious that fine line is.

Mom was still asleep when I called this morning so I didn't talk to her but I am betting that she is happy that she can stop the protein meals. She is always very diligent about following doctor's orders, but she has no appetite so she was really forcing herself to eat even the tiny protein snacks multiple times a day. When we were at the Wound Clinic last Tuesday she asked Dr. B if she had to keep eating protein, and Dr. B pointed to mom's shin wound (which was healing nicely) and said, "Yes, this is why!" So now mom has one of her favorite docs recommending protein and the assistant of her other favorite doc telling her no protein. But I think the delicate balance of cardiac function and kidney function probably wins the priority over faster healing of her shin.

Speaking of the Wound Clinic, when we were sitting in the waiting room last Tuesday, a very large tough-looking Indian woman came in and sat down. She was probably in her 30's, tall and large-boned and about double mom's weight. After a while, Maria came out and got mom to take her back to the exam room. As my little frail old mom hobbled past the Indian, mom reached out and patted her on the shoulder and said something to her.

Later after we left I asked mom what she had said to the Indian woman, and mom said that she had just told her to hang in there and that she hoped she felt better. Mom didn't know her at all, and most little old ladies would probably shy away from her because she looked kind of scary. But mom, hobbling her way painfully into the exam room, completely forgot about her own troubles and reached out to give her a little bit of comfort and compassion. THAT is mom's true essence.

I saw it again on the night when she cooked me dinner. I know that her mother's intuition could probably detect the grief in me, in spite of my best efforts to hide it, so she tried in her own way to relieve my mind by proving to me that she was FINE...fine enough to cook me a nice dinner in fact. I know it took a lot out of her to stand there in the kitchen cooking, but she has a fierce will when she puts her mind to it. In spite of the fact that she has no interest in eating, she prepared two plates for us with a beautiful salad with pine nuts, and she cooked chops with a delicious mushroom sauce. Other than the first night I arrived, that was the only night that we ate at the dining room table, and I know it was because she wanted to prove to me that she was fine and everything was normal. I didn't believe it for a minute, but I am in awe of her ability to look out for other people even in her frail and exhausted condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment