Thursday, March 31, 2011

Confusion (Thu 31 Mar, 2011)

Yesterday morning mom tried to open her new double-cell window shade and was not able to. She told me that she was going to have to get someone to show her how to work it because it wouldn't move. I went over and found the note that Bill had left next to the pull-cord that said, "Left = lock, Right = unlock." So I pulled the cord diagonally to the right and the shade went right up. I told mom that you have to pull the cord to the right and she (very impatiently) said, "I KNOW!!! I WAS pulling it to the right!" and she gestured to show me how she had pulled to the left! Suddenly she realized what she had done, and she kind of made a joke out of it to cover her embarassment.

Mom's Coumadin level fluctuates wildly, and she either takes 4mg or 3mg depending on her Protime test. Yesterday Denise the HD Hospice nurse visited, and mom was telling denise that she is taking 4.3 or 3.4 depending on the day.

Late last night I heard some fumbling around at the back door at the bottom of the stairs. I called down to ask her if she needed any help, and she said, "No I am just trying to lock the back door. I should have turned on a light!" She kept fumbling around and then she swore. I figured that maybe the neuropathy in her hands was preventing her from being able to grasp the doorknob, so I got up to come down to help. She impatiently told me to "JUST TURN ON THE LIGHT, WILL YOU??!" So I turned on the light in the stairwell and looked down to see her feeling around on the wall about two feet to the LEFT of the door. She wasn't anywhere close to the doorknob. This is the same door that she has been locking every night since the early 1980's.

No comments:

Post a Comment