Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Three or Four Years (Tue, 22 Mar, 2011)

Somehow I managed to convince my boss to let me work remotely from Rocky Point for a month "or so," starting this Sunday. I called mom this afternoon to tell her and she said that she appreciates the help, but she wishes that we kids would save it up until she "really needs it." She said, "I had a talk with The Man Upstairs and He told me that I need to realize that I am going to get older and at some point three or four years down the road I am really going to need some help, so THAT'S when I might need you to come down. I hate to have you use up your time now. As soon as the wound clears up, I'll be able to get around on my own, and everything is gonna work out OK."

Huh. Three or four years...!!

Mom sounded very worn out, which is pretty normal after a trip to town. She and Bill had gone in for her Tuesday appointment at the Lake Wound Clinic, and once again Dr. B was very impressed with how well mom's shin is healing. I asked if she had discussed the issue with the protein diet, and she said that Dr. B told her that she should definitely follow Kubac's instructions. Dr. B said that the week that mom had been on an increased protein diet had done the trick and that the new skin had formed nicely. Mom has another appointment next Tuesday and she said that it was handy that I am coming down because she won't have to worry about how to get to her appointment.

In spite of telling me last week that she no longer has the stamina to do any errands when she is in town for her doctor appointment, she evidently was willing to go grocery shopping, and she seemed content that she had been able to pick up the things she needed. Bill brought her home and then took off to take her garbage to the RP dump so she could have a nap.

My brain is still reeling from the three or four years comment. It's true that she has surprised us all before, but somehow that just doesn't compute. I keep re-examining my own observations to see if I am totally off-base. Two weeks ago when I arrived at RP on March 6th, mom asked me if I would take Jana "if anything happens to me." One week ago Denise the Hospice RN told me that although she had only met mom a week earlier, she thought mom was going to need round-the-clock care very soon. I don't have a crystal ball (although I do have a Magic 8-Ball), but I am going to be the most surprised person on the face of the earth if she makes it four more years to age 89. The Magic 8-Ball says "Reply hazy, try again."

No comments:

Post a Comment