Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Beauty Center (Wed, 30 Jun 2010 5pm)

Yesterday I drove down Main Street marveling at EMPTY and FREE parking spaces. Today I took mom for her hair appointment at The Beauty Center, and when we walked through the door I thought I had stepped into the 1950's.

The first thing that hit me was that old-school beauty parlor smell of permanents (ammonia maybe?). There were two ancient white-haired ladies in there. One was sitting under one of those enormous cone-shaped dryers, with about a hundred little tight rollers in her hair...I am sure it was her permanent that I was smelling. The other old lady was getting her white hair fluffed by the equally ancient hairdresser. The hairdressing chairs as well as the one little sofa were turquoise vinyl, and the arm of the sofa even had a built-in ashtray with a little flip-up door!

I sat on the turquoise sofa reading a magazine and waiting for mom while she got her hair cut and chatted with her hairdresser about the people they both knew, the doctor who is leaving town, mom's health and the hairdresser's health, and the space next door that is being rented out for wedding receptions. My oh my, the only thing that would have made it more classic would have been if we had driven up in a '57 Chevy with the Twilight Zone theme music playing in the background.

We went to lunch at another downtown KFalls restaurant and got there right before the lunch crowd. (Yes it appears that even KF has a lunchtime rush!) Mom had a tomato and spinach quiche, and broccoli salad. After that, we went to Sherm's so she could stock up on some more groceries. It has been so long since she felt good enough to go shopping that her freezer has gotten kind of depleted, so she wanted to stock up both the freezer and the pantry while I am still here to help carry the heavy stuff. I think she is feeling pretty good, both health-wise and freezer-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment